ELECTRIC OR MANUAL TOOTHBRUSH: WHY IT DOES (AND DOESN’T) MATTERhttps://pristinedentalbellevue.com/wp-content/themes/pristine/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 admin admin https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/9402f7ed21295a9145078a28c1b792c7?s=96&d=mm&r=g
You live in the golden age of toothbrushes. Until a few decades people used twigs or brushes made from animal hair to clean their teeth: not very soft and none too effective.
Now, you have a choice of manual brushes with soft, medium, or hard bristles. Or you might choose to go with an electric toothbrush instead.
Have you ever wondered whether manual or electric brushes provide better cleaning? Actually, they both do the job. The key is to brush and floss every day, regardless of the kind of brush you prefer.
At our Bellevue office, we like to say the best brush is the one you’ll use. So if you prefer manual, go for it. If you prefer electric, turn it on.
Both types have their advantages but both types will get the job done as far as removing plaque.
- Provide power rotation that helps loosen plaque
- Are great for people with limited dexterity due to arthritis or other problems
- Are popular with kids who think the electric brushes are more fun to use
- Can come with variable speeds to help reduce pressure on sensitive teeth and gums
- Can help brushers feel they have more control over the brushing process
- Allow brushers to respond to twinges and reduce the pressure applied to sensitive teeth and gums
- Are more convenient for packing when traveling
- Manual brushes are cheaper and easier to replace than the electric versions.
In many ways, the golden age is just beginning. There are already phone apps available to remind you to brush and floss. New apps can play two minutes worth of music while you brush, help you compare the brightness of your smile or help explain dental procedures. Maybe someday we’ll even have programs that examine your teeth after brushing and identify spots you might have missed.
- Post Tags:
- Toothpaste Matters
- Posted In:
- Dental Tips
Leave a Reply